Monday, February 11, 2019

How malaria dealt me severe blows


I live in the rural part of Lagos with all sorts of hosting site for mosquitoes around our house.

You'd see bushes, stagnant water and blocked drainage system.

Within my house, we are always conscious of getting infected. So, we take all sorts of preventive measures like sleeping under the long lasting insects treated net, fully covered up and other necessities.

For me, it all started with a long day at work. I was really stressed out.

And when I got home, I just fell on my bed to sleep. I was just too stressed to hang the net.

My nonchalant attitude went on for two days. Then, I began to feel the rhythmical pounding of yam in a mortar on the right part of my head.



It trickled down to my jaw. Wow! The banging of the aches was something out of this world.

I became feverish and dizzy. Everything happened so fast. So, I dismissed it as stress and took it lightly.

I just went to get some off-the-counter medications for headache and body pain. Yet, I knew I had to rest. So, I did.

Two days after, I didn't get any better. I still felt all the aches and pains with worst effects. Then, I knew I had to visit the doctor.

At the doctor's office, I explained how I was feeling all over.

He said they sounded like regular symptoms of malaria. He then prescribed some treatments for me.

I returned home and strict to the prescriptions, I took the medicine.

Funny however, two days on, despite taking the medications, severe pains, more aggravating began to flog my joints like someone under a teacher's whip.

I threw-up all I ate. And I was unable to eat another set of foods.

There was a sharp pain in my throat added to a bizarre bitter taste in my mouth. My tongue was sour.
My taste bud was dead.

I felt like someone who had come to the end of his life. I had perceived malaria as a regular sickness that can be treated lightly, but at that moment, I was having a rethink.

Prior to now, I have had bouts of malaria countless times. But with herbal remedies, or so I thought, I scaled through.

I never knew it the importance of thoroughly treating malaria until this last experience.

The total treatment lasted me five days. And it was a relief I recovered, fully and speedily.

I went back to my doctor who ascertained I was okay.

Don't joke with malaria. It can snatch life in a matter of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment